"SARR - Advanced Solutions for Radioactive Waste" Call for Innovation
17 June 2020
Sogin Group launches today the Call for Innovation "SARR - Advanced Solutions for Radioactive Waste"
, with the support of Digital Magics
The Call is open to innovative startups and SMEs interested in the development of advanced solutions and technologies that can integrate into the radioactive waste management chain
, in order to contribute to the digitalization of processes
and sustainable development
Sogin's mission is to guarantee the safe maintenance and the dismantling of the Italian nuclear installations and to manage radioactive waste, including that produced every day by medical, industrial and research activities. In this regard, Sogin is implementing a new integrated platform called AIGOR, based on blockchain protocols, which allows the planning and constant control of the treatment, conditioning, characterization and storage of radioactive waste.
The goal of the Call is to identify startups and innovative small and medium-sized enterprises capable to propose new solutions in radioactive waste management processes, in their planning, in the verification of the obtained results and in logistics. In particular, the innovative enterprises will have to propose solutions in three domains:
The companies interested in participating to the Call can register by 26 July 2020 on openinnovation.sogin.it.
- Interface bridge, development of technological solutions dedicated to the acquisition of the information collected from the interfaces of the various systems involved in the processes of dismantling and waste management, which can be integrated with the AIGOR platform.
- Positioning systems, development of useful information technologies regarding the indoor position of objects, to support the planning and monitoring of internal logistics.
- Smart monitoring, providing technologies for the workers’ safety and the automation of operational processes such as the control of stored waste, their classification, also through smart labels.
At the end of the Call, the ten most promising projects, selected by a jury made up by Sogin and Digital Magics, will be able to present their pitch during the Innovation Day scheduled for 14 October 2020. The winning startup will be awarded with a prize of twelve thousand euros and will have the opportunity to collaborate with Sogin for the development of the awarded project.“With today's event
- said Emanuele Fontani, CEO of Sogin
- we start a challenging path that will allow us to achieve, in nuclear decommissioning, an innovative way of managing radioactive waste. We are indeed convinced
– Mr Fontani continued - that technological innovation in radioactive waste management leads to a further minimization of their volume and to an increase of the quantity of materials that can be recovered and reused in other production cycles. A concrete commitment by Sogin to support the circular economy and to build a safer and more sustainable future”."Radioactive waste disposal is an extremely complex process that requires solutions capable of ensuring efficiency in their management, high safety standards without ignoring eco-sustainability
- says Marco Gay, CEO of Digital Magics. "Digital transformation is also affecting this sector and alongside Sogin, one of the first companies in the world to face the challenges of nuclear decommissioning, we will contribute to the search for projects and startups that can give further impetus to their innovation paths".