Radioactive waste management
Nucleco is the leading company in Italy in the treatment and conditioning of radioactive waste from the decommissioning of nuclear power plants, fuel cycle plants and research centres.
Nucleco’s services include:
- Collection, packaging and transportation of radioactive waste and radioactive sources, including calibration, neutron and high-activity sources
- Sampling and analysis of hard-to-detect radionuclides in radiochemical laboratories
- Reduction in volume, through super compaction, of low and intermediate level solid waste
- Conditioning into qualified products
- Treatment of liquid waste through biological, chemical and physical treatment processes
- Temporary storage of radioactive waste in authorized repositories
- The unconditional release of materials that can be moved away
Nucleco is equipped with mobile units for the treatment and conditioning of waste and mobile laboratories for radiological and chemical characterization.
It has a modern laboratory for the qualification of cementing methods used in the various conditioning processes.
Nucleco is also able to treat hazardous waste, such as asbestos, contaminated by radioactive substances.